Sunday 5 February 2012

The Dark Side of Humpty Dumpty

One of my goals for 2012 is to make more of an effort in reading more books.  I tend to go through phases with reading all the time to reading hardly at all.  Last year I read over 10 books the first half of the year and then 1 book the second half.  I would like to stop that from happening so a goal I have set for myself is to read at least one book a month.  I am also going to try and read more church books as well as the fiction books I usually read.  So far I am sticking to it.  Here are the books I have read in January and the ones I hope to read for February.

The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde
Summary:  It's Easter in Reading - a bad time for eggs - and the shattered, tuxedo-clad corpse of local businessman Humpty Dumpty has been found lying beneath a wall in a shabby part of town. Detective Inspector Jack Spratt and Sergeant Mary Mary, part ot he Nursery Crimes Division, investigate the murder of Humpty Dumpty. 
Thoughts: I started this book back in October and I enjoyed the concept and premise but just wasn't motivated in my reading.  I finally got to finish it and really enjoyed the book.  I am now looking at getting the next book in the Jack Spratt series, The Fourth Bear, as I enjoy the fairy tales mixed in with adult humor!  I would highly recommend this book for a fun read.


Matched by Ally Condle
Summary: In Cassia's society, Officials decide who people love.  How many children they have.  Where they work.  When they die.  But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy, she is determined to make some choices on her own.  And that's when her whole word begins to unravel.
Thoughts:  I enjoyed this book but I think I had higher expectations for it than it lived up to.  It is a Young Adult book so I was thinking it would be along the lines of a Twilight or Hunger Games.  It was a good read but this story didn't quite work for me as in similar books I have read.  I'm sure this won't stop me from getting and reading its sequal Crossed which came out in November.

Those are the books I've read for January.  I have started my next two books for February.  I am currently reading a church book called The Minister's Wife which is a book about being a minister's wife, the privileges and pitfalls that come with the job.  It has been a helpful book so far and enlightening in several ways.  I can only hope this book may help me in better serving my husband, church and firstly the Lord.


I've also started reading A Game of Thrones.  When Matthew was sick during the Autumn he bought the books and quickly read through them.  I thought I would give it a go.  The only downfall is it is a big book and small print.  At least I have the half-term in February that I can spend more time reading especially at night before bed.  Here is hoping I can finish both books in the coming month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment