Sunday, 15 January 2012

Health Update: Going Private

Last week we saw a private doctor (cardiologist) in Cambridge for a second opinion.  It was a good visit overall with good and bad news.  The benefit of going private for this opinion is that we knew a cardiologist would take the time to go through Matthew's test results and fully examine Matthew.  The downfall is you have to pay for it but for peace of mind it would be well worth it!

Anyways when we arrived they ran an EKG on Matthew.  On the NHS it took Matthew two months to get this done.  Then we got to meet with the doctor.  It was very helpful as he listened to Matthew, asked questions and examined him.  The doctor then went onto explain all the different tests Matthew has taken over the past few months and their results.  He came to the same diagnosis that Matthew had myocarditis following a flu from July that went and infected the area around the heart.  This was reassuring to hear just to know we have been on the right track.

The good news:
All the damage done to the heart has completely healed with little to no scarring. 

The bad news:
The electrical system of Matthew's heart hasn't quite fixed itself leaving Matthew with an irregular heartbeat.  The EKG showed Matthew was having more abnormal than normal heartbeats. 

The cure:
Again...there is none for this.  He is taking medicine and right now it is just finding the correct dosage to lessen the symptoms of the irregular heartbeat.  He was on a low dosage of the medicine which has now increased.  Best case is that the heart fixes itself and the irregular heartbeat goes away.  Worst case is that Matthew could be on medicine the rest of his life for the irregular heartbeat.

So even though it wasn't the cure all I was hoping for it was good news overall.  The damage done to the heart has healed itself.  Now we are just trying to get the correct dosage for Matthew to lessen the symptoms of the irregular heartbeat which in time will help him to feel better and function at 100%.  Matthew is still having good and bad days but we are finally having more good days than bad which is a massive improvement from where we were a few months ago.  He still isn't 100% but everyday getting stronger and able to do more.  Prayer would be appreciated as he continues to heals and slowly gets back to working full-time and back into the ministry.  Thank you for all those that have been praying for Matthew during these last six months.  They have not been easy but our great Father in Heaven has been with us every step and lifting us up in those down moments.  I'll be sure to update you when we have the next appointment in a few weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment